What is a Welcoming Dogs consultation?
A Welcoming Dogs consultation is a free, easy to access process where we will take you through how to include dogs safely and responsibly.
Welcoming Dogs is suitable if you operate a homelessness service, including: emergency accommodation or hostel, temporary or supported accommodation, day centre or community hub. It is also suitable if you are a social landlord, local authority, housing association or other housing provider, who are currently restricted to not accepting pets. In short, we want to tailor this process to meet your needs!
We have created accessible resources for you, and will host a virtual consultation discussing your premises, information specific to dogs and their welfare, and health, safety and hygiene. We will make one risk-assessed visit to you to complete the consultation, and once you are ready, we will endorse you as a ‘Welcoming Dogs’ service or housing provider.
What does endorsement mean?
When you are endorsed by Dogs Trust as ‘Welcoming Dogs’, you will have:
- A bespoke dog/pet policy and dog/pet owner agreement
- Useful resources on referrals and risk assessments
- The ability to access free veterinary care for your service users
- Support packs to welcome dogs (essential doggy items!)
- An endorsement certificate to display and promote
- An entry on our online directory of dog-friendly homelessness services here
- Ongoing support from Dogs Trust
We would love to hear from you and work with you to ensure that dogs and their owners do not have to be separated.
T: 07384 834 466
If you are not based in Scotland, but would like more information about how our Hope Project can support your organisation with accepting dogs, please get in touch with our team here.