Important update on volunteering for the Freedom Project in relation to COVID-19/coronavirus
Please note that our vital services are still operating but with measures in place to ensure the safety of our staff, volunteers and dogs. We are closely following government guidance and we are now no longer recruiting volunteers who fall within the ‘clinically vulnerable’ or ‘extremely clinically vulnerable’ group, including those aged 70 or over. This is to help reduce social contact with these people and ensure we can keep them protected.
We are now able to accept volunteer enquiries from those who have their own dog, but not from those who have cats or small pets. We are also only accepting new volunteer enquires from those who have access to a private or communal garden. This is to ensure that the dog could still be exercised and have the opportunity to go to the toilet, should that person need to self-isolate. Please contact your local team here for more information if you have any questions.
We always need volunteers living in Greater London & the Home Counties (Hertfordshire, Essex, Kent, Surrey, East Sussex, West Sussex, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Berkshire), East Anglia (Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk), Yorkshire, the North East and North West of England, and Scotland to become foster carers. If you would like to apply, please complete our online enquiry form.
We think there are many fantastic benefits to being part of the Freedom Project:
- The enjoyment of caring for a dog without the lifetime commitment
- You will be helping a family and their dog to escape from an abusive home
- Walking a dog is a fantastic way to exercise and keep fit and healthy
- Dogs are a great talking point and a way to get out and meet new people
- You’ll receive ongoing advice and support from our friendly Freedom Project staff
- Dogs Trust covers all food, expenses and veterinary bills
Without the help and support of our dedicated volunteer foster carers, we wouldn't be able to run the Freedom Project. Please complete our online enquiry form